Monday 7 October 2013

Melbourne Marathon - 6 More Sleeps to Go

This year when I started on my fitness journey, the one thing I wanted to do was a marathon. 42.195km. 26.2 miles. However you look at it, it is bloody scary! The first person I done about wanting to do a Marathon was my Fernwood Food Coach in late May. I had wanted to set goals for myself that would help me to continue to lose weight but also maintain my weight loss.

When the words, 'I want to do Melbourne Marathon,' came out of my mouth, I could not believe it. By telling someone, I was committing myself to it. Making myself accountable. Since that day in May, I have used a schedule to train for this marathon and I have stuck to it about 90% of the time. My focus is on finishing the marathon, not speed, so my main focus was to get the km's in every week.

So now, I have six more sleeps until I will be running my first marathon. I feel I am as prepared as I can be. I completed a number of long runs with the longest one being just shy of 33km. I have participated in two half marathons so these were great opportunities to take in fluids whilst I was running and to run against a clock.

This week, I am focusing on resting my body and adding additional carbs to my diet. I also need to keep myself well hydrated during the week. In relation to my gym schedule, this is my plan for the week:

Monday: Body Balance & PT
Tuesday: Running - 8km (roughly, will go with more about how I am feeling rather than distance)
Wednesday: Body Pump & possibly Pilates (depending on how I am feeling)
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: Rest - maybe take Ally for a walk
Sunday: MARATHON!

My PB for a half marathon is 2:06:52 on what was quite a flat course. Based on this I am hoping to complete a sub 4:30 marathon. *Fingers Crossed!*

No comments:

Post a Comment